The little things that make me happy here on Bliss Road~~Emily Keaton

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

What a Hoot!

A quick card today using today's SCS sketch challenge and yesterday's SCS color challenge: concord crush, daffodil delight, and pear pizzazz. I don't have any of the new SU colors, so I had to substitute.

I'm also entering this in:
  • City Crafter Challenge Blog #15, Garden Mail, to use a color from the inspiration photo and include something to do with mail. The owl is stamped on a small panel that I slipped inside a tiny handmade envelope. Making that envelope was SO much fun!!
  • Simon Says Challenge, Going Dotty!
This is a sneak peek of the Mark's Finest Papers Owl Be There set, which will be released in August. I love this cute owl! As soon as I saw him, I knew he would be perfect for the birthday of an owl-loving friend. The little flourish and both sentiments are from this fun set, too. I can't wait to make something else with Owl Be There!

Oh, can I share a little bit of fun with you? The kids and I made a trek to IKEA yesterday, which is a treat for all of us. We lunched in the IKEA restaurant and had dessert at the snack bar (fresh cinnamon roll for me, vanilla cones for the kids). I was on the hunt for a better way to store my growing collection of paper punches and hoped I'd find something good at IKEA. I hit pay dirt! This little Helmer metal drawer unit is exactly the kind of sturdy solution I was looking for: drawers are 9.5" wide by 15" long and, most importantly, 4" deep. They are just right for my punches! I can quite comfortably store 8 of the large old-style SU punches in a drawer, and because the drawers are metal, they can handle the weight of that many punches without bowing and deforming. I am SO thrilled. :) Oh, and DD couldn't wait to help me assemble the drawer unit. Wow--she is a natural when it comes to putting things together, and she figured out the direx faster than I could. Must be all that Lego building!!

Thanks for stopping by today!

SUPPLIES:
Stamps: MFP Owl Be There
Paper: PTI kraft CS, DCWV DP, generic CS
Ink: Palette violette
Accessories: CM scallop corner rounder punch, SU large oval punch, dimensionals, sewing machine, colored pencils, OMS, paper blending stump, brad
Techniques: machine sewing, gamsol magic

14 comments:

Marisa said...

Cute card and a great use of the SCS sketch :D Way to go on your purchase! Sounds like the perfect solution for all those punches LOL! Don't you just love it when things work out so well.

Mona Pendleton said...

Cute card Emily! That owl is a real hoot!

Meg said...

What an adorable card-I love that little envelope! Great work with the color combo, too, it seemed like a tough one to me, but you totally rocked it with that owl!

Oh, my, I am so jealous of your IKEA trip and your IKEA find. That looks perfect for punches & all sorts of odds and ends.

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

This is really fun! Love that little envelope! Thanks for playing along with us at CCCB!

Sue Lelli said...

The owl popping out of the envelope IS a HOOT!!!

Colleen Dietrich said...

Great job on the challenges! I see you found City Crafters blog too. I can't wait to play in the current challenge...I LOVE their inspiration photo.

Thanks for showing us the drawer unit. When my stamping space moves out of the dining room and into the attic, I want one of those! Right now my punchez spilleth over in their little boxes.

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Wonderful stitching!! I'm loving that purple too!!

Thanks so much for entering the Simon Says Stamp Challenge!!!

-Sarah

Unknown said...

What a cute little card! I just love how you made that little envelope.. Very clever..
Thanks for playing along with us at CCCB!

Deb Hickman said...

So cute,love the zigzag stitching.

Anonymous said...

Cute card! I love the little envelope and the stitching! x

Ros said...

Oh so sweet ... Thanks so much for joining us at CCCB

Crafty Math Chick said...

Such lovely creations and congrats on that FAB drawer unit Emily! It IS perfect for punches! Nice and sturdy, Now I want one too! (LOL, no room for it).

Unknown said...

cute card was the punch drawer expensive? love it thanks for joining us at the CCCB

cnelson said...

This is just as cute as can be!! LOVE that storage unit...what a great find! thanks for playing along at CCCB!