The little things that make me happy here on Bliss Road~~Emily Keaton

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Pumpkin Treat Box

So, on Tuesday night DH and I had tickets to a concert, his birthday present from me last week. Being a school night, we needed someone to stay with the kids, so our lovely neighbor (who has three elementary-school-aged girls of her own) volunteered to come and sit with our kids at our house so they could get to sleep on time. (Her own DH was holding down the fort at their place.) We are ever so grateful!! I have a small thank-you gift I'd like to give her tomorrow and made it my goal today to make fitting gift packaging for it. This is what I came up with:
I've made many of these 2-5-7-10 treat boxes in the past two years and just love how easily they can be assembled. A tutorial for making one can be found on SCS here. One thing I love about them is that you can make one with a single sheet of card stock. Yay!!

Anyway, I was inspired by today's Ways to Use It challenge (WT288) on SCS today. It's called "Ransom Style," and the challenge was to construct a message in the style of a cut-and-paste ransom note. How fun is that?? Here's a closeup of the "ransom" message:
For my design, I used this week's Get Sketchy #55 sketch:
Our gift will be accompanied by a note of thanks, and I thought I'd use this one that I made just last week. So I tried to make my gift box coordinate and used many of the same papers and colors. I stamped the letters of my "thank you" on scraps of paper left from both projects using an old mismatched alphabet set from The Angel Company. My pumpkin is from the recently released Mark's Finest Papers set called Thankful Mums and Pumpkins. It was so easy to paper piece the pumpkin image from this set. I love how it turned out! Oh, before I forget--this treat box also qualifies for Speedy the Cat's Friends Challenge #20 to use fall colors and Delightful Challenges' Pumpkins, Pumpkins Everywhere challenge.

Wondering what will go inside the gift box? Well, in the fall and winter I use an awesome handcrafted goat's milk lotion (from B & D Goats) in an Apples & Spice scent on my hands throughout the day. Every time I wear it, my neighbor comments on how incredibly good it smells. So I got her a tube of her very own to tuck inside the gift box. I think she'll be thrilled!

Oh, and our concert?? It was outstanding!! We had a great time. And we were so pleased to hear from our neighbor that our kids were "delightful" for her while we were out. Whew!! :)

Recipe:
Stamps: MFP Thankful Mums and Pumpkins, retired TAC set (mismatched alphabet)
Paper: DCWV Indian Summer DP, DCWV Indian Summer textured CS, SU pumpkin pie CS, various scraps
Ink: Palette noir black
Accessories: SU wide oval punch, SU scallop trim border punch, foam tape, scissors, scoring tool, bone folder, Scor-Tape, glue pen, satin ribbon
Techniques: paper piecing

14 comments:

Marisa said...

There is nothing better than wonderful neighbours. We had some that were like a third set of grandparents to your kids and then they moved. However they aren't that far away and we still see each other. Glad you had a fabulous time at the concert as well :)

Your thank you gift and card are great. I'm sure she will adore them. Every so thoughtful of you :) Great way to reel her in for future uses...just kidding LOL!

Lynn McAuley said...

How sensational!! Beautiful work, Emily!!

Thanks for sharing these with Speedy's Friends!!

PapierGirl said...

What a great use of the sketch and what a great neighbor! Thanks for joining us this week at GS! :)

Carol Hurlock said...

Emily I am just loving this project. Glad you shared what you were putting inside the gift bag!!! You are so kind and thoughtful. Love your card too! It is just awesome.

Bear Hugs,
Carol :O}

Unknown said...

This project is truely gorgeous! I am so loving the colors, very inspirational, thank you for sharing!

We're looking for talented papercrafters like you to join us by entering exciting challenges at Papercraft Star. All the challenges are posted way in advance to give everyone a chance to get their project ready. The public and participants can vote for their favorite projects (that win People's Choice Awards) and we also feature fantastic give-aways from our sponsors. We hope you'll come over and join us today at http://www.papercraftstar.blogspot.com We're right in the middle of a $25.00 gift certificate give away just for becoming a follower!

Vicki Dutcher said...

Great ABC project! Thanks for playing with Speedy's Friends!

Lisa said...

Great Projects!! thanks for joining us at Delightful Challenges this week

redwasher1 said...

Absolutely fabulous!!!
Thanks for playing at Speedy's Friends.

Joanne (jojot) said...

wonderful packaging....(for chocolate, right???...lol)....thanks for playing with Speedy's Friends this week

Mary Marsh said...

so sweet of your neighbor to come over to take care of the kids-glad to read you enjoyed the night out-I really like the treat box you made for her-the lotion is alwasy a good gift to gic=ve a woman

Anonymous said...

I love the treat box Emily, and the way it matches the card. That handcream sounds delicious! Do you have the Body Shop over in the US? I get most of my 'smellies' from there and they also have some wonderful stuff which smells fab!

Colleen Dietrich said...

I hope your neighbor liked this treat box; it is (I'm gonna say it again) so nice, you could display it as a decoration! The colors are so muted and rich; perfect for the cooler weather that (hopefully) is on its way soon.

Wanda said...

What a wonderful neighbor and friend. I love your little thank you sack. It's just perfect. Thanks for playing along on Delightful Challenges
Huggles

Topboxes said...

I like your idea...smooth color combination